Thursday, October 20, 2011

VBS @ Hyderabad

I was in Hyderabad a few weeks ago to lead a Vacation Bible School program for kids at the Ascension Mar Thoma Church. Somehow, last year and even a month ago when achen had invited me there were some other activities in place which didn't make this VBS look possible. But, thanks to the way God turns things around, I got to make it to Hyderabad.

I need to say I had a great time with the Kids and teachers. Some of the parents showed up everyday to cook meals for the kids. Twas awesome! I enjoyed the hospitality of Mathew achen & family who treated me like royalty!

My experiences with certain people...

a. Luke! : Ok...Luke is 5 years old. But he can talk like a 15 year old. In my first session he surprised me with the kind of answers he came up with. Young chap with an excellent smile. So was this other guy Shawn (4year old)... major smiles and man therez so much radiance on their faces!!
(Luke & Shawn were, I guess, the names I called the most during my sessions... they were so coool!!)

b. Achen & family: If you have been brought up as a syrian christian, there is this reverence & respect you have for the priests/bishops or clergy in general that is kinda ingrained in your system. I have always pictured myself on the giving side when I meet the clergy ( ie: give respect/honor etc.).
Here, in Hyderabad, I have this achen & family who turn the tables. I am suddenly on the receiving side. =) Yea... I was treated as a Bishop! lol! The love, care and responsiveness they showed were amazing. They'd go out of their way to serve. God bless their serving hearts!

c. Youth band =) : When I got to Hyderabad, I had brought a guitar assuming that I am gonna be doing a lot of singing alone. And when I casually check with Achen, they even have a drum kit at church. Wow! A traditional church having a drum kit??? hmmnn...not so common. Well to my surprise I had a lead guitarist, a drummer, a keyboardist and a bunch of vocalists...what more did I want?? =) There were these guys called Rubin, Wilfred, Sunil, Tobin, & Jewel who turned in for practice in the mornings before the day started - some of them driving 45 mins to get to church. Wow!

d. The Cooking team : I dont know why but I was really happy to see a good bunch of parents and church members coming in every morning to cook food for about 70 people. The food was amazing!

More than that, it was just the thought that these folks could get together to cook and also discuss their worlds with each other. I have heard of corporates taking their managers to a cooking workshop to improve team dynamics. A lot of things happen when we do things together... and it was just beautiful to see that.

with the Team @ Ascension MTC, Hyderabad

No comments:

Post a Comment