Friday, May 20, 2011

Why Listen??

I have this memory I will never forget while working at Perform@ International. Our CEO, Pre, was visiting us and we were having a discussion with him. We were about five or six people sitting and talking.

In that group, especially when you are flooded with senior people it is so easy to go unheard. During the course of the conversation, we were all giving our opinions. And I remember this distinct moment when I gave mine and was soon over-powered by everyone else.

But Pre... who was listening... goes like... "eh... sorry... what did you say Sam"??

And I got a chance to repeat myself with everybody's attention! =)

Now why I share this incident is because I have seen Pre do this again and again. He has this high sensitivity to people and also to conversations in a group. If somebody shared something and was ignored, he would quickly turn the group's attention to the person who was jus ignored and make everyone listen to him/her.

This is a kind of behavior I guess Pre trained himself to practice.

And if you ask me... I'd say it is critical for all Leaders to be good listeners.

Growing organizations have trained their ears to listen to what people are saying and are tuned in to the sound of the tweets =) ... it sure means a lot to them - jus to Listen!

Ever been listened to?? .... DO try listening!

2 comments:

  1. Listening? ha!!!! I remember a similar incident with Ramesh Richard. It was meeting and he was the speaker and he was sitting in the last row. We were chatting and I was, as usual, giving him some big gyan on word orientation and the brain. I thot Ravi was not paying attention, he was looking all over the place. The announcement was made the Ravi has to come to stage, while leaving Rave glanced at me and said we will continue the conversation some time.
    I knew he is a busy guy and he would not remember, I was right we could not meet that evening. After 45 days he connected with me on Facebook, recalled the entire conversation on mail to the point were I left and wanted me to complete it. I was Amazed.
    In between he would have met thousands of very interesting people, who am I that he must remember me and what I spoke.
    Here is a case of a man who was genuine. He was emotionally cued in when I was speaking to him though his body language seemed casual, he paid 100% attention to what I was 'blabbering'... He obviously respected me and what I had to say.

    I had this always in my mind and wanted to write about it.. thanks for provoking me with this blog

    ReplyDelete