Sunday, January 22, 2012

Big Fish by FFH with Mtc Kids

I am back after a singing session with about 20 kids. I was given the responsibility of finding a song that the kids could sing for their Annual day. I get the song (Big Fish - FFH) - only that the song is seemingly difficult to sing. I kinda took four hours today to learn & arrange the song.

I get to church where the kids are rehearsing and I ask their teachers - 'Do these kids sing in a choir or something? I have a song that is a little challenging to learn and I would need pretty skillful singers.' The teachers gave me one reply: 'These kids learn fast. They will pick it up'.
Somehow my mind was not buying it. I was saying this in my head -  'Hello! I took a long time to figure this out and this is not any other kinda song they have done before.'

Finally, my time is at hand. I get the kids together and give them my cautionary notice saying - 'Guys this isn't an easy song. It's quite challenging. So I need you to really pay attention. We will figure this out.' and I started playing the audio track.




Frankly, I was kinda scared to look at the kids faces - I didnt want them to give up too soon. =).
The kids smiled.

Well, what can I say? I was in a for a Big Surprise! We started with the first part. Man... were the teachers so right! The kids were super fast learners! We had no sheets (especially for a song with 3 paragraphs). Yet, their speed at learning the song was amazing. I was stunned and all the more excited! In an hour we learned 2 sections of the song + I also taught a group of girls one of the harmony sections (that's what I was expecting to finish on the 2nd day of practice). Frankly, I am just awed at their learning potential. We still have 2 more practices. And I know the kids are gonna put up a great show!

Cant believe how we undermine kids. Their learning potential is way high! Way to go Kids!!

No comments:

Post a Comment